Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Self-Stabbing Pen

This week I was approached at a store by a woman who wanted me to sign a petition.  It was to get tax credits for tuition to private schools. It was being promoted as being “fair.” 

Forget for the moment that tax credits drive up deficits.  This woman, like her companion at the other end of the store, was almost certainly a product of the state-starved (declining revenue) local school system, a system that would be even more starved if this went through. 

I asked her if she was paid to gather signatures.  Yes.  I asked her if she knew who was paying her.  A non-profit company, she said.  Did any of that seem strange, I asked.  No, why would it, she answered.

I didn’t ask her if she made enough to send her children to private school, even with some tax credits. 


I let irony be enough.  Bitter irony she can chew on later.

No comments:

Post a Comment