Sunday, August 14, 2011

Dysfunction of the Genders, Part 1

In a marked departure from the usual (and perhaps staid?) political/historical/environmental/social commentary fare often seen here, I am presenting this multi-part presentation on social psyche of the genders, especially the 20-40 somethings (with a bit more emphasis on the younger part of that spread). For those of you with weak constitutions or delicate sensibilities, buck up, as I won’t be sparing things just because they could be considered crude, lewd, or derogatory.

That caveat said, I really like the CD that this is taken from (perhaps that says a great deal about the mental and emotional activity, etc. of this prof!). Not just because of the song-slinging easy jingling, but because the songs illustrate in quite raw form how at least part of the male side views things. Perhaps a reader could suggest some counterpart female views to post…

So onto the first of many lyrics postings and analyzing (presented here for educational purposes only, so as not to infringe on the rights of the band and their publishers/producers, although I'm assuming since I own the CD, like the CD, and am giving it publicity, they won't mind):

From Theory of a Deadman’s 2011 CD “The Truth Is…,” comes this song. The lyrics give the title away right off…

“The bitch came back the very next day
Oh, the bitch came back, I thought she was a goner
But, the bitch came back, she couldn't stay away
Don't you know the bitch came back?

I like her so much better when she's down on her knees
Cause when she's in my face that's when I'm starting to see
That all my friends were right in thinking that we'd be wrong
But she's so fuckin' stupid she'd be singing along

The trouble with girls is they're all the same
Forget the diamonds and pearls; they just want a ring
Before you know it, you're like a dog on a leash
Well you can try and change the world, but you won't change me

The bitch came back the very next day
Oh, the bitch came back, I thought she was a goner
But, the bitch came back, she couldn't stay away
Don't you know the bitch came back?

There she goes again just always breaking my balls
No matter what I do somehow it's always my fault
She says I must be cheating cause I turned off my phone
But that's the only f’in' way she'll leave me alone

The trouble with girls is that it’s never enough
They love to complain and they never shut up
They like to tell you the way it ought to be
Go on and tell the world but just don't tell me

The bitch came back the very next day
Oh, the bitch came back, I thought she was a goner
But, the bitch came back, she couldn't stay away
Don't you know the bitch came back?

It ain't a joke when I say I wanna throw you out
(I really mean it, I really mean it)
Well look who's laughing now!

The bitch, came, the bitch came back
The bitch, came, the bitch came back
The bitch, came, the bitch came back
She just couldn't stay away

The bitch came back the very next day
Oh, the bitch came back, I thought she was a goner
But the bitch came back; she won't stay the f*ck away”

Aside from the (demeaning?) language, these lyrics illustrate quite directly how many 20-40 something men feel, at least in my own monitoring from travels, circles of friends and acquaintances, and internet sifting. Look at some of the themes men are rebelling against: control; manipulation; incessant verbosity; and accusation, just to name some. There is also the first hint of another theme that will be coming up soon: men feel they can’t treat women too nicely, or perhaps even that the women don’t deserve it, and in any case if they treat them too nicely because they want the woman around, she’ll leave, but if they treat her like, well, the b-word above, they won’t be able to get rid of her! :)

Yes, yes, I know there are SOME, hopefully, MANY American male-female relationships that don’t fit anything like these patterns described. Good for them. Are they the exception or the rule? Interesting ponder!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad it is going to be a "multi part presentation" because I have a lot to say on the subject! I will however try to stop short of "incessant verbosity." (I know what you mean but it sounds funny coming from a self proclaimed "windbag" :)

    I wish I could tell you and other men what has happened to women over the last few decades, but I'm too busy trying to figure it out myself. While I'm looking around the web for other sites that look like P&H I come across a lot of blogs hosted by men. Lots of them are really angry. Some of the sites are downright nasty (to a female) but I'll have to admit I find many of them hilarious, though I could do without the "C" word and women being referred to as their genitalia. In more cases than you'd expect, this housewife thinks lots of women are bringing this on themselves and that the men have a point. I say this because the tone seems to be a reactive one, usually. The men don't start out holding the women they date in such low regard but come to feel that way due to experience. (Yes, ladies I know many of you have come to your feelings toward men on the same experience freeway. You'll have to defend that point yourselves, since that hasn't been my experience.)

    Let's take a look at what men see when they look around. Women who regularly refer to themselves as "goddesses" which 50 years ago would have had everyone doubting your mental stability. Young women who wear clothing proclaiming that they are high maintenance, spoiled, or a bitch. This new breed of female is so proud of these traits they wear clothing with these words on them. Some of these women think nothing of admitting they are gold diggers and the checklist they have for potential male companions is lengthy even if they aren't great catches themselves. The amount of wedding/baby related television shows alone would give any man pause and single women without even a date for the upcoming weekend poring over the latest bride/wedding/honeymoon magazine (of which there are dozens!) is enough to creep any man out. I'm a woman and I think it's weird. No man wants to hear the details of his date's dream wedding. Most of them aren't going to care about those details even after the engagement. Hasn't anyone told them this?

    I'm confused by the new brand of female pride in greed, shallowness, and self absorption. You are then unable to comprehend why men aren't interested in you. Really? Is it possible to be that detached from reality? Oh Honey, your parents telling you constantly how precious and wonderful you are, really did a number on you.

    I'm glad you have more to say about this. Me too!

    ReplyDelete